Wednesday, March 11, 2015

We're Like a Semi Truck

I have never driven a semi and I don't want to.

I know this.  They are big, they are long, and they don't turn on a dime. They also take quite a while to stop after the brakes are applied.

I read a story about a truck driver who was coming down a long hill to a bridge, and there was an unexpected traffic stoppage.  He knew he COULD not stop in time to avoid hitting stopped cars, so he deliberately veered off the bridge into the water.  And survived, by God's grace.

Ok, we're not planning on diving into water or anything. I do have a point.

The point is this.  A family of 11 has a lot of inertia.  We don't shift quickly. We don't dance like a butterfly and sting like a bee.  We don't do well with sudden changes in schedule.

I sometimes feel like I've got 3 or 4 rocks attached to my ankles that slow me down every time I want to go somewhere with the children.  Our big children can get shoes on and grab their stuff and get in a car without too much trouble.  But even then -- if we take our older 5 kids somewhere by themselves (not that we've done that recently) it takes TIME to get everyone situated in the car.  When the littles come too -- wow, we really have to plan!  We have to get diaper bags prepared and find lost shoes and make sure everyone is properly attired.

So ... we do not do well with changing our plans. We don't do well with impromptu opportunities.  We really have to think about EVERY little idea.

I know some of us find that frustrating. I wish I could be more casual about what we do outside the house, but we can't.  It is our season.

But God knows that and I trust that we can do what we are supposed to do as a family.  We have to say no to some things, but that's Ok.

No comments: