Monday, June 10, 2019

Chilly, Wet June Plus Philosophical Ramblings

Where is global warming when you want it?

It has been cool and wet.  This time of year, the high temps each day are generally in the low to mid 80's.  But we've had most days in the 70's lately. Last week, one day the high was in the 60's!

Cool is not a bad thing except where the pool is concerned. It crept up to 79 last week but now that we have several days ahead of us with rain and low temps, it'll drop.

I LIKE MY POOL REALLY WARM!

Not that I'm whining.

Ok, maybe I am.

Yesterday's was King's Island Day, when my company nobly sponsors a day at a local amusement park.  We ALL went yesterday, which is the first time all 11 of us have gone in a long time, maybe forever. I can't remember if we took Rose when she was a baby.

I will post pictures of King's Island Day in another post.  Kevin got a new camera and took a bunch of fine pics.

I'm feeling a little melancholy.  I think part of it is fatigue and that I was sick last week with some annoying virus that made my head, neck, and back hurt.  And I was super tired.

The other thing is that a guy I knew from work died a little more than a week ago. I didn't know him well -- he was in his 60's. He was a very friendly man, intelligent, honored and liked.  He just collapsed and died unexpectedly.

He came from a Hindu background.   The funeral was a few days ago and we were all invited, but I didn't attend, partially because of family needs here at home, partially because I was sick, but also partially because I didn't want to possibly participate in a funeral rite I wasn't comfortable with.

The latter was likely something I should NOT have worried about, but the message sent out did mention specific colors of clothing being appropriate for a Hindu funeral/ceremony.  (I am not sure if it was a funeral or a memorial service.)

Funerals are for the living and I didn't know his poor wife and family.  I feel so badly for them.  Most people I know who die were sick ahead of time and it isn't a total shock.  This was very sudden.

I am a Christian.  Hindus and Christians disagree profoundly on the fundamentals of reality.  I mean, both encourage kindness and some other positive traits but Hindus believe in reincarnation, and Christians do not.  Christians believe we need a Savior in the form of Jesus Christ, Hindus do not.

We can't both be right.  Hindus and Christians cannot BOTH be right.

I believe I'm right.  I know I'm right. So this fine man was wrong.

It makes me sad.

We are all sinners, and we all need to be saved by grace.

So yes, I just feel sad for this man and his family.  It's also a reminder that life is ... unexpected.  We may think we have many tomorrows when we don't.

I pray often that the Lord will give me many years so that I can be a good wife and mother.  I'll be honest that I do look forward to Heaven. I have at least 6 children waiting for me there who never survived long enough to be born.  JESUS IS THERE!!!

But I've got a wonderful husband and 9 beautiful children who need me.  So I want and desire a long life.

And yet, life can end so suddenly, as it did for the man at work.




No comments: