Sunday, June 30, 2024

End of June

 It was a busy week. Our church had Vacation Bible School Sunday through Thursday evenings, and Kevin and three to five kids went each night, except for Wednesday, when I took Kevin's place.

It was really good and Rose and Daniel (who attended) and the older kids who helped all enjoyed it. The only downside was that we picked up an illness; no surprise given all those little people running around! I felt pretty badly on Thursday and am better now though still tired and moving at about 80% speed. Kevin is still pretty sick, poor guy! The kids have been sick as well but mostly getting over it rapidly.

Yesterday I was feeling really sluggish and spent a couple of happy hours working on a puzzle and watching gymnastics.  Peacock (NBC) had a cheap deal so I purchased a year's subscription, and have really been enjoying the Olympic trials. Gymnastics at that level is a dangerous sport with all that twisting and leaping and all that. I was watching uneven bars and was interested, and pleased, to see that they have spotters and mats that are moved in an out when a gymnast is about to do something really dangerous. Of course, when they do their dismounts they are doing twists in the air and nothing can be done if they misjudge and land on their heads.

The men's gymnastics was also interesting. The strength of those gymnasts!

Also, being tall definitely is a bad thing in gymnastics. For the ladies, I was watching Jade Carey performing after Simone Biles and Jade seemed so tall though I know she isn't. So I looked them up.

Jade Carey is 5 ft. 2 inches tall, and Simone Biles is 4 ft 8 inches! Simone Biles is about Rose's height!

Biles is also an incredible athlete. She is top of the world at age 27, and few gymnasts last that long.

Anyway, it is fun.

My book that I am second editing is not fun. I know I sound whiny because I am whiny! It is the longest book I have ever written, and that combined with being physically off and extra tired means it is taking me FOREVER to do my edits. Whine whine whine!

No, really, I am grateful for the ability to write books and SO grateful for self publishing.

I am a person who likes to get projects done and this is a big project looming, so it annoys me. But I will get it done and we are not publishing until September, so I have time.

But I also have an internal drive to finish it. One does not get a Ph.D. without being able to finish things, and I always feel a little agitated when I have some big project that is ALMOST done but not QUITE done.



No comments: