Thursday, June 24, 2021

Gout!

 Last week, Kevin's left foot started hurting, a lot. It was especially bad at night, to the point that the sheet on his foot would hurt, waking him up.

He put it up and put ice on it and it was swollen and red and very painful, and eventually Doctor Google pointed us towards gout, of all things!  Henry VIII had gout.  It seems like such an old fashioned problem but it still hits people today.

Like Kevin.  We presume. He was not able to see his doctor on short order so he went to a Little Clinic at Kroger and the nurse practitioner said it seemed like gout.  She prescribed a steroid and an anti-gout medication and he is feeling better. He is seeing his regular doctor today.

It made for an interesting week all around. Kevin does a TON around the house, but with a lame foot, the kids and I had to pick up the slack.  The kids can do a lot, but we currently don't have any other drivers.  We hope Isaac will get his license soon (his driving test is in July -- the office where they do testing is backed up, like almost everything else these days.)

So I was driving all over creation and feel pretty stressed today as it is the first day of the week when I wasn't leaving at least once, or twice.  One time it was 3 times. Ugh.

I don't do well being gone from home a lot. There is a great deal to do here and if I am gone, the kids (who do a lot) lose track of things.

Kevin's new job has also been quite demanding though thankfully he has been able to hobble into our study and work from there.  I am thankful he is feeling better, mostly for his sake but for mine as well!

All in all a good week though, if not a particularly relaxing one. I remember, with fondness, my summers back in my teenage years. I mostly got up early and puttered around all day, though I helped with cleaning and other chores. But I had time, for example, to watch the Price is Right and play computer games a lot.

Now I am all grown up and I am busy, summer or no. But, busy in a blessed way.



No comments: